Tuesday 22 May 2012

Broad bean smash

I really like beans and pulses, as you can probably see from their inclusion in some form or other in most of my savoury posts.

This is so simple to make and very tasty.

When in season it would be best made with fresh broad beans but as its still early in the season I used tinned. Although tinned do have a slightly 'washed out' colour they work just fine for this.

Take one tin of broad beans (they were from Waitrose but I'm sure other supermarkets sell them too) and place it into a bowl. Add seasoning, about 1/4 crushed clove of garlic, a squeeze of lemon juice, some dried chilli and plenty of chopped mint. Take a potato masher and smash the broad beans to a chunky paste. Serve as a dip with vegetable sticks or on a piece of toasted sourdough rubbed with garlic and drizzled with oil.




I used Isle of Wight garlic. I try to buy it if I can as most of the garlic in supermarkets is imported from China which I just find a bit crazy, especially when the cloves are far smaller and not as strong tasting.

The dried chilli's were from my chilli plant last year but you could use chilli flakes.

The mint was from the garden. If you pick too much or buy a bunch from the supermarket it will keep well in the fridge in a glass of water. In the same way as cut flowers in a case.

No comments:

Post a Comment